Re: [Simulavr-devel] [Fwd: Kann simulavrxx nicht "maken"]

From: Bill
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] [Fwd: Kann simulavrxx nicht "maken"]
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 17:40:09 -0500

Knut Schwichtenberg wrote:

| Bill,
|
| On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 09:35:04 -0500, Bill <address@hidden>
| wrote:
|
| I've downloaded configure.ac and Makefile.am but that did not help
| :-(. To  get this finished I've set the config-option as mentioned
| by Oleg - that  helped. Maybe I need to use the auto-tools...

Hmm...took me a while to check all in, I think you probably didn't get
all the changes. (seems avr_local.m4 should have been updated too,
no?) Could you send me (off-list is ok) the output of the process?
What failed? I assume you ran ./bootstrap before all else? (Hmmm...not
sure I documented this process...I'll check that too tonight.) Anyway,
these things you updated have no effect 'till auto-tools are re-run,
usually by ./bootstrap.

|> This has been fixed for some time (depcomp), but not checked in.
|> Try CVS  updates now.
|>
|> Let me know what other problems you have. (SWIG detection
|> probably still  a problem tcl detection is still not the
|> greatest.
|
| The first was I had swig not installed. SWIG=no was entered into
| the  config.log but make tried to use it. After installing SWIG the
|  compile  crashed. SuSE Linux had split TCL into a runtime and a
| developer package.  The second one contain e.g <tcl.h> and was not
| installed. Maybe you need  to check the TCL development tools as a
| special case in 'configure'.

Yes, I plan on working on this issue tonight. Thanks for raising it
again. This is what motivates me to solve the problem ;-)

As for tcl, I'm not happy about thi ssituation at all. I hadn't
considered your scenario (though now that you mention it, it is
obvious!). I'll add a check for that too.

I only wonder if it would be helpful for someone to roll binary
packages... but the nature of simulavr is such that users, it seems,
should be somewhat comfortable with these kinds of issues, as you
appear to be...I don't know...

Perhaps I should make some tarball patchfiles updated with CVS
changes, so non-simulavr-developers (such as yourself, I think?) don't
need to mess with all this stuff? I'm clear we need a better process
here, becuase at the moment, you have to install nearly the entire
toolset Klaus and I use to develop, even if you only want to run the
simulator in it's simplest modes...

|> I'll fix things as I get time. If you have patches, that would
|> probably  speed things up a bit ;-)
|
| Sorry, I have only good ideas ;-).

I hear you!