Re: [Simulavr-devel] Patch: simulavrxx <->Verilog binding

From: Klaus Rudolph
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] Patch: simulavrxx <->Verilog binding
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 13:28:13 +0100

Hi Onno,

I need your help for building the verliog things!

First of all:
The patch to the sources are fine, after finsihing the build system problems I will commit them.

The build:
If I build the verlig-vpi with your method, you will catch a libbfd.so file which is possibly not related to avr and also could diver in version from installed bfd on the system. this will result in the following problems: If system libbfd is compatible to the avr-libbfd all is fine. But on my installation (linux-i386) that is not true!
This will result in a dump!

How I fixed that on my machine:
I have a tmp directory which contains all needed .o files from libbfd/libiberty, simply catched from archive
with ar x *.la command.
After that I have a line in a hand crafted Makefile like this:

iverilog-vpi  --name=avr $(OBJECTS) $(BFDOBJECTS) vpi.o -lc -lm

where the OBJECTS the same as for other targets in the project like for simulavr. BFDOBJECTS is simply the list of all *.o files in my local tmp directory where I un-archived the libbfd/libiberty.

After that trick I was able to run your verilog glue code and could generate the *.vcd files.
GREAT :-)
But what I see in the gtkwave makes no sense for me.... ???
The output for portb/pinb is 01/00/02/00/04 and so on.... this has no relation the the program, or? :-)
Could you explain that for me please... :-)

So what should we do to get the things play:
Please find out how to link against the correct libbfd/libiberty. If not possible (I have searched arround 2 hours :-( ) bring the tmp-object-dir to the build-system. I am not an expert of autotools at all. But I hope that there is a trick in the varilog commands to link against correct libs. Attention: there is no libbfd.so in the standard avr-compilation. Maybe there
is a trick how to get them and this should be documented.
After that I will verify the build-toolchain and check your changes in.
And yes: could you send a smart documentation how to use the simulavrxx into verilog for beginners (like me:-) And another question: Is it possible to attatch gdb while runnung verilog and have online graphs and maybe able to stimulate pins from a tool inside the verlilog... as you can see: I have no idea what verilog can do for us! :-)

Where could I start reading in using verilog? :-)

Thanks
Klaus