Re: [Simulavr-devel] Discussion: siminfo feature as proposed by Markus H

From: Klaus Rudolph
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] Discussion: siminfo feature as proposed by Markus Hitter
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 20:31:01 +0100

Hi all,
> http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?40594 and Markus repo with this feature
> on https://github.com/Traumflug/simulavr)

I have not looked in the sources until now.

> What does it do? In a similar way as avr signature it's possible to link
> into elf file some mor information about the program and how to simulate
> this. The idea comes from simavr: https://gitorious.org/simavr.
>
> The information are:
>
> - controller name (e.g. "atmega32")
> - clock frequency
> - serial input from file and serial output to file
> - simavr holds too VCD configuration, tracefile, core voltage
> - ... there are many more thing, which **could** be hold there

If this information will be written to any non text or data section it
seems ok. To add any kind of meta data section like debug and config
sections to an elf file can not disturb any other feature, so I think it
is a good way.

But I personally want to overwrite the informations from the elf file by
config options on the command line. Maybe I want a different clock
frequency or maybe a smaller controller. This MUST be possible without
rebuilding the elf file.

Simply the information can be read out from elf and if any options are
on the command line they overwrite the infos from file.

If so: Do it :-)

Regards
 Klaus