Re: [Simulavr-devel] Discussion: siminfo feature as proposed by Markus H

From: Markus Hitter
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] Discussion: siminfo feature as proposed by Markus Hitter
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 21:03:36 +0100

Am 26.02.2014 20:31, schrieb Klaus Rudolph:
> If this information will be written to any non text or data section it
> seems ok. To add any kind of meta data section like debug and config
> sections to an elf file can not disturb any other feature, so I think it
> is a good way.

The tricky thing here is to make the linker keeping this section.
Typically, code for AVRs is compiled into a binary as small as possible
and this also means removing unused sections. So far I couldn't find a
linker option to do heavy optimisation _except_ for the .siminfo section.

> But I personally want to overwrite the informations from the elf file by
> config options on the command line. Maybe I want a different clock
> frequency or maybe a smaller controller. This MUST be possible without
> rebuilding the elf file.

As is, command line options, if existing, always take precedence over
stuff in the .siminfo section, so this part should be solved.

Markus

--
Dipl. Ing. (FH) Markus Hitter