sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Withdrawal of service: keys2.flanga.io & keys3.flanga.io

From: Moritz Wirth
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Withdrawal of service: keys2.flanga.io & keys3.flanga.io
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2018 17:46:20 +0200

Hi Martin,

are you talking about keys.flanga.io or keys2.flanga.io? keys.flanga.io
does still peer, however sks-keyservers does not recognize the peers due
to different structures of the /pks/lookup?op=stats&options=mr file -
this should not affect the peering itself and keyserver.dobrev.eu is
still listed in my peering file (and it looks like peering works:
time="2018-07-19T15:00:04UTC" level=debug msg="hashquery response from
\"keyserver.dobrev.eu:11371\": 8 keys found") . keys2.flanga.io has been
disabled so it does not peer anymore ;)

The main reason for disabling keys2.flanga.io and keys3.flanga.io was
the heavy resource consumption - one point was traffic (thanks to the
amount of keys with 30MB+) and the other one was the CPU utilization of
the database. I monitored the uptime of the sks webserver every 30
seconds and it crashed every 2-5 minutes. While I am happy to contribute
to this project, I don't see a reason in operating something that only
works 60% of the time.

I would rather consider the recent "attacks" as severe bugs than attacks
(though handling these bugs has miserably failed) and the recent patches
are only a drop in the ocean. Let's be honest, SKS is not maintained and
it probably never will, and it's simply frustrating running a keyserver
that never will work as expected.

However, keys.flanga.io will probably continue operation with Hockeypuck
- though it has its own bugs, it's way faster and reliable than SKS.

Best Regards,

Moritz