sks-devel

Re: Key server status

From: Todd Fleisher
Subject: Re: Key server status
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2024 09:54:58 -0800

I would challenge that the ubuntu server is even well maintained for day-to-day
issues currently. My PGP key (0x 949D203A) was uploaded directly to their
server in the past as well as being available on my nodes which they used to
peer with. However, keyserver.ubuntu.com began to intermittently respond with
404 not found errors when searching for it (at least) almost 1 year ago when I
began monitoring it on May 1 2023. It remained that way until June 19, 2023  at
which point it started responding with 404 not found errors 100% of the time as
you can see here:
https://i.ibb.co/rcBJXbg/Screen-Shot-2024-03-07-at-09-45-53.png

I’d be curious to know if Skip or anyone else has had similar experiences after
trying to upload their key directly to canonical’s server and then checking
back to see if it is retained & made available to clients that query for it.

Not to be totally negative, as Andrew is correct that we may finally be making
some progress with direct outreach to a new contact @ Canonical whereas even
that failed in the past with individuals who were responsible for their
keyserver (e.g. handled peering requests and the like). Fingers crossed.

-T