sks-devel

Re: Key server status

From: Skip Carter
Subject: Re: Key server status
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2024 18:18:55 +0000

I just tried uploading to the ubuntu server. 2024-03-07 18::08 GMT
uploading to the ubuntu server.  The response was:

{"inserted":null,"updated":null,"ignored":["rsa4096/05fa40b23af5025974c
3b1a6c62aa8645d00d25b"]}

I will check later if it sticks.

(For proper public access I also updated my key at keyserver.pgp.com

On Thu, 2024-03-07 at 09:54 -0800, Todd Fleisher wrote:
> I would challenge that the ubuntu server is even well maintained for
> day-to-day issues currently. My PGP key (0x 949D203A) was uploaded
> directly to their server in the past as well as being available on my
> nodes which they used to peer with. However, keyserver.ubuntu.com
> began to intermittently respond with 404 not found errors when
> searching for it (at least) almost 1 year ago when I began monitoring
> it on May 1 2023. It remained that way until June 19, 2023  at which
> point it started responding with 404 not found errors 100% of the
> time as you can see here:
> https://i.ibb.co/rcBJXbg/Screen-Shot-2024-03-07-at-09-45-53.png
>
> I’d be curious to know if Skip or anyone else has had similar
> experiences after trying to upload their key directly to canonical’s
> server and then checking back to see if it is retained & made
> available to clients that query for it.
>
> Not to be totally negative, as Andrew is correct that we may finally
> be making some progress with direct outreach to a new contact @
> Canonical whereas even that failed in the past with individuals who
> were responsible for their keyserver (e.g. handled peering requests
> and the like). Fingers crossed.
>
> -T
>
> > On Mar 7, 2024, at 09:15, Andrew Gallagher via SKS development and
> > deployment list <sks-devel@nongnu.org> wrote:
> >
> > On 7 Mar 2024, at 16:47, Skip Carter <skip@taygeta.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I have found that the keyservers are not properly synced:
> > >
> > > The MIT server has my key from 2023-03-29
> > > but the Ubuntu server has only my old expired key 2019-04-10 (4
> > > years
> > > out of date!).
> >
> > The MIT server is effectively running unmaintained at the moment.
> > It is a single-threaded sks-keyserver node with severe stability
> > issues. We have tried engaging with them on several occasions but
> > there has been no reply. I would not recommend relying upon it.
> >
> > The Ubuntu keyserver is well-maintained for day to day issues, but
> > there is some disconnect internally between their SRE teams and
> > their support desk. We are making some progress and hope to be back
> > in sync shortly.
> >
> > You can see the current sync state of the graph at
> > https://spider.pgpkeys.eu/graphs

Dr Everett (Skip) Carter 0xC62AA8645D00D25B
skip@taygeta.com
Taygeta Scientific Inc
607 Charles Ave
Seaside CA 93955