Speech-dispatcher and yasr?

From: Hynek Hanke
Subject: Speech-dispatcher and yasr?
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 11:03:43 +0100

C.M. Brannon napsal(a):
> I wrote the code for setting Speech Dispatcher options, so the blame is mine!
> And I didn't really know how to handle the situation.  A menu of languages
> seems impractical.  The same goes for setting the output module.
> So the attached patch removes those two options, and leaves them under
> the control of SD.

Hello Chris,

it is however practical for an interactive application to
be able to switch languages interactively. It is often the case
that one has to handle documents in different languages.

A menu of languages is practical when it is based on the
capabilities of the currently loaded synthesizer (which
is supported by Speech Dispatcher 0.6.6 via LIST VOICES
SSIP command) and it is easy to choose an item. Another
option is to let the user predefine the set of languages which
will be available through the menu.

If it is a cyclic menu, it is necessary to let the user predefine
the options listed, so that the number of options is lower.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,
Hynek Hanke