Symbol names always sent as English strings

From: Kyle
Subject: Symbol names always sent as English strings
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2019 17:01:44 -0500

I have tried both espeak-ng and MBROLA speech synthesizers in Brazilian
Portuguese, as well as espeak-ng in Swahili. I have turned off symbol
preprocessing explicitly in /etc/speech-dispatcher/speechd.conf. In all cases,
speech-dispatcher seems to be ignoring this setting, as I always hear the
speech
synthesizer's best attempts to pronounce English names for symbols, i.e.
non-alphanumeric characters. For example, if I type a * (star) character, and
my
speech-dispatcher character is set to pt-br, the Portuguese speech pronounces
the character as "istar" instead of "asterisko," which is the Portuguese
pronunciation as given when I pass the character directly to espeak-ng or
MBROLA.. It's the same of all other non-alphanumeric characters. Is there some
other way other than turning off DefaultSymbolsPreprocessing explicitly to
force
speech-dispatcher to send symbols directly to the speech synthesizer instead of
sending it English strings? Thanks much for any help.
~Kyle