stow-devel

Re: [Stow-devel] Installing Software

From: Jason Self
Subject: Re: [Stow-devel] Installing Software
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 19:00:20 -0400

Troy Will wrote:
> GNU Stow works on both binary and text files. For example, I've written a
> number of programs in Perl and maintain them as Stow packages.  A GNU Stow
> package is simply a set of files in a stow directory - it doesn't matter if
> those files are binary or not. Maybe I'm not understanding what you are
> referring to by binary package.

It's true that I hadn't considered programs written in an interpreted
language. I was referring to programs that must be compile before they can
be run. So...

> If I understand the documentation correctly GNU Stow is geared toward
> binary packages and that those packages must somehow already exist
> within the stow directory in order to be able to install them?

...was intended to mean that such software must already exist in the stow
directory in its compiled form.

(And then continue with the rest of the email from there.)