stratagus-devel

[Stratagus-devel] Beginner questions

From: Joshua Drum
Subject: [Stratagus-devel] Beginner questions
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 13:28:02 -0600

Hello,

I am brand new to startagus, and relatively new to development.  I am
interested in stratagus because I have some ideas the direction RTS games
should have taken a couple of years ago, but none of the gaming companies
seem to want to evolve beyond the current "Real Time Micro Management"
models out there.  Ive given up waiting and have decided to take a crack at
it myself.  I am somewhat familiar with (and have) MSVC, but I have never
touched GCC before.

A couple of basic questions:

1) Is there an easy way to port the startagus files over for use with MSVC
that will also allow me to port them back to GCC format if I should actually
get something worth sharing?

2) Assuming the answer to #1 is no: On the MinGW site they have a beginners
tutorial, with a disclaimer stating it may be out of date.  It recommends
TextPad for an editor, and MinIDE for a project manager.  Are these still
valid reccomendations?

3) Should I install both MinGW and CygWin as is mentioned in several
articles?  or just one or the other?

Thanks for whatever you can share.

-Josh D