stratagus-devel

Re: [Stratagus-devel] Beginner questions

From: Russell Smith
Subject: Re: [Stratagus-devel] Beginner questions
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 17:12:38 +1100

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 06:28 am, Joshua Drum wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am brand new to startagus, and relatively new to development.  I am
> interested in stratagus because I have some ideas the direction RTS games
> should have taken a couple of years ago, but none of the gaming companies
> seem to want to evolve beyond the current "Real Time Micro Management"
> models out there.  Ive given up waiting and have decided to take a crack at
> it myself.  I am somewhat familiar with (and have) MSVC, but I have never
> touched GCC before.
>
> A couple of basic questions:
>
> 1) Is there an easy way to port the startagus files over for use with MSVC
> that will also allow me to port them back to GCC format if I should
> actually get something worth sharing?

MSVC is used by some of our developers now.  The projects and libraries are in
msvclibs.zip.  If you need further assistance, pop into #stratagus, and
someone will be able to help you with MSVC.  The game compiles on both, and
we work hard to keep it that way.  So you will need to write code that is
standards complaint.  Other than that, it should just work.

> 2) Assuming the answer to #1 is no: On the MinGW site they have a beginners
> tutorial, with a disclaimer stating it may be out of date.  It recommends
> TextPad for an editor, and MinIDE for a project manager.  Are these still
> valid reccomendations?

Answer is yes, so I haven't read the question.

> 3) Should I install both MinGW and CygWin as is mentioned in several
> articles?  or just one or the other?

I wouldn't bother with either, again question one is yes :)

> Thanks for whatever you can share.
>
> -Josh D

Regards

Russell Smith