swarm-modeling

Re: decision making <=> coevolution <=> emergent structure?

From: gepr
Subject: Re: decision making <=> coevolution <=> emergent structure?
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 1998 16:33:56 -0600

Nelson Minar wrote:

> >It makes me wonder about the completeness of the partially ordered set
> >representation of causality and the available grammers.
>
> It's not complete, that's the whole point - ordering of messages can
> matter even if you don't realize it can. That's the point behind
> randomized execution order when the set is not well ordered.

Understood.  But, surely there are theorems that can be proven to
hold over partially ordered causality.  And is the set of true statements
adequate to the task of understanding what happens in a multi-agent
system?

In other words, can we cut the space of possible outcomes into
reasonable chunks based on our partial ordering?  ... the key
word there being "reasonable".

In other words, is it logically possible to predict large-scale
constructs (emergent phenomena) with posets and the theorems that
apply?  Further, is it possible to specify which *types* of constructs
can be predicted and which types cannot?

And *further* is it possible to predict the structure of the space
of possible outcomes based on the partial ordering chosen beforehand?

--
glen e. p. ropella      =><= Hail Eris!
the swarm corporation   W:(505) 995-0818

   body of the message.