swarm-modeling

Re: What is emergence?

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: What is emergence?
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 11:45:50 +0100

Well, at this point we can say that for a definition of emergence we
need:
 - A system described by a micro and a macro language
 - An observer of the system
 - A subset of the concepts in the languages that *call for emergence*
(E)
When the observer recognize in the system a concept in E, then we have
emergence.

Thus the definition of emergence become the definition of the subset of
concepts
in E.

> > This exaple is the study of the prisoners dilemma made by R. Axelrod
> > using genetic algorithms

> > Running the experiment the observer can see at the macro level that
> > the avarage score falls down (so defection emerges), and than rise
up
> > ( cooperation emerges, more precisely reciprocation).
> > But defection and cooperation are something defined within
> > the microlanguage as particular patterns of the gene.
>
> This is an example of "simple emergence", whereas the entropy and
> recession examples are "complex emergence".
>
> If what "simple emergence" is what you mean by "emergence in the
> micorscopic level", then sure that exists.

I didn't now about it, but if we admit this distinction, then we have
to change the head title of our definition:
Are we defining "complex emergence" or "simple emergence" ?
I think you would define complex emergence.

> > This bring us to another question:
> > Is emergence a state or a process ?
> > I think it is a process.
> >

> I don't really think it is either. It is a property of
> concepts. Although the traditional English use of the word of
> emergence implies a process occuring through time, this only comes
> about because of a picture of "moving" from a microscopic description
> to a macroscopic description.

If you agree with the opening of this letter, then we can say that the
property of
the concepts is "to be in E".
This does not imply that the concept itself cannot describe a process.
The reason why I would keep process and state distinct, is my fear of
falling in the
definition of Equilibrium.

Any feedback will be welcome

Matteo Piombo