swarm-modeling

Re: [Swarm-Modelling] Literature on modeling concurrency

From: Rick Riolo
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] Literature on modeling concurrency
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 08:25:03 -0500 (EST)

The Huberman and Glance article does show a simple
case of how "scheduling" can affect results, but
I recommend that people also read the article that
it critiques:

   Nowak, Martin and May, R.M -- "Evolutionary games and spatial chaos,"
   Nature, 359, pp826-829.

and then the "reply" article:

   Nowak, Bonfoeffer and May. "Spatial games and the maintenace of
   cooperation."PNAS (USA), v91, pp4877-4881. 1994

Another example of the affects of simple changes in scheduling
are included in this paper:

  Axtell, Axelrod, Epstein, Cohen.  "Aligning Simulation Models: A Case
     Study and Results."   CMOT 1: 123-141 (1996)

There are quite a few other papers about sync vs async updating
in CA's, too.

- r

--
Rick Riolo                           address@hidden
Center for the Study of Complex Systems (CSCS)