swarm-modeling

[Swarm-Modelling] 2 easyish questions

From: Vinny Reynolds
Subject: [Swarm-Modelling] 2 easyish questions
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 14:20:20 +0100

Hi
I'm doing a kind of a state of the art review simulation technologies, with a view to developing a pervasive computing simulator.
One of the simulators I identified as being useful is SWARM.
I've read a lot of the documentation and I have one or two questions that I cant seem to find the answer to.
Can anybody help,.....

Agents and Swarms seem to be equivalent to a degree and are structured hierarchically. Events can be scheduled for individual agents or for Swarms compromising of agents and/or more swarms. Say for example, you place 1 set of rabbits in one particular swarm, and another set of rabbits in another swarm. The two sets of rabbits are in physically different places, which is why I'm seperating them into two swarms. Now, rabbits being rabbits like to move around and my first question is this. If a rabbit moves and more appropriately belongs to another swarm, can that agent and its events be moved transparently? Or, does it have to be treated in a special manner because it is no longer part of swarm one and therefore is
no longer bound by that groups behaviour?

The world is modelled as an agent, albeit one with special meaning but treated by the simulator as an agent nonetheless. My second question is has anybody found that this places any undue limitations on their model of the world or is the agent paradigm sufficient and flexible enough? How did
you get around any such limitations

Can anyone help...

Thanks in advance,
Vinny