swarm-modeling

Re: [Swarm-Modelling] Announce: metaABM 1.0.0

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] Announce: metaABM 1.0.0
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 19:00:55 -0700

Miles T. Parker wrote:
The economic drivers were all about who could take the basic representation and stretch it as far as it could go. That in turn meant that companies began to do all kinds of crazy things..
But it's not actually possible to write general purpose programs in SQL. It's a language that addresses query. Worse, the interface to languages that _are_ general purpose is not standard -- client libraries vary from vendor to vendor. For that matter SQL _itself_ varies a lot across vendors. Most of the time if you just take one non-trivial SQL-based application and plug in another RDBMS, the application will not work, unless there is an intermediate library (e.g. JDBC) is known to support both. In practice, a lot of typeless strings get passed around and SQL syntax goes unchecked, even though the programs embedding those strings may be otherwise correct. Further, SQL fails to specify (or infer) expected access patterns. The same SQL could have terrible performance on a row-oriented database system and fantastic performance on a column-oriented database intended for data mining. RDBMs don't go far to morph representations to fit queries, they fit queries to representations. [And, analogously, have we found the right representations for agent models?]

Anyway, this is not to argue that inventing or evolving declarative languages isn't a useful goal. I just think that "..a common broker that opens up all sorts of possibilities for collaboration on either end" does not by itself mean that scientific progress will occur. With SQL, what it meant was that Oracle occurred. After using db4o (http://www.db4o.com) for a while, or LINQ, I kind wish SQL wasn't the popular way to do query!
Marcus