swarm-modeling

Re: [Swarm-Modelling] Announce: metaABM 1.0.0

From: Miles T. Parker
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] Announce: metaABM 1.0.0
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 17:51:52 -0800

On Nov 25, 2007, at 11:24 AM, Marcus G. Daniels wrote:

Miles T. Parker wrote:
Using a general purpose programming language, there's the possibility of inferring a DSL by having a computer find or refine minimal programs that explain some pattern of input and output data.

If you find that palatable, then surely one that is crafted by humans is not such a bad thing? :)
To me the palatability of it is just a matter of how much data is available. If there is a lot of data, and it is complex, then a computer is a tool to find order in it. If there is not a lot of data, then sometimes perhaps all that can be done is invent stories to think about ways a system might work, and how one might obtain data. But unless there is the possibility some data, however qualitative that can ground the theory, the activity is not empirical science.
Coefficients for formulas are just a special case of functional programs. Both can be fit to data, and compressed. The story doesn't need to be invented by a human to be rationalized. _______________________________________________

But are you claiming that that is privileged over the age-old process of the observing nature intuitively, noticing regularities and then verifying that through measurement? Or that a "limited" DSL driven model that matches "reality" as well as some automated reduced model is somehow less preferable?

Ultimately what should matter are rules of predictive utility, not pretty stories..

Can we *predict* what direction a flock of birds will fly?
It seems conceivable that by using high speed 3d digital cameras, data on weather conditions, info about the time of year and geographic location, and some health/performance stats on the birds themselves, radio collar info of past movements, it might be possible to find regularities after many observations. Not 100% prediction of course but maybe better than random. And if regularities were found, it seems conceivable that some of those regularities might have to do with group size, the physics of drafting, recent food intake, etc., and maybe even give novel insights to an ornithologist.

Well sure, but I'm simply claiming that you can *also* make novel insights w/o all that work. My intuition is that understanding of complex systems at this point is so limited that going to all that trouble would not be the most efficient way to improve knowledge. And in fact, that is exactly what Boids did, work that is now being confirmed with more quantitative methods. You can't make very effective decisions about what avenues of research will be most fruitful without relying on informal intuition. And I guess I am not one that sees prediction per se as the only goal of science -- I like explanation. I'd say more strongly that the POV of science as only being valid when it can predict a *particular* outcome is too narrow. Perhaps that isn't a bad description of the difference between Simulation and Modeling, and I think why I resist the lumping together of "Agent-Based Modeling *and* Simulation" with no distinction between the two.