swarm-modeling

Re: [Swarm-Modelling] ABMs on Graphical Processor Units

From: Russell Standish
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] ABMs on Graphical Processor Units
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 10:02:14 +1100

Roshan had kindly sent me a copy of his paper a couple of weeks
ago. Impressive stuff indeed! It reminded me of the hoops one had to
jump through in order to program the CM5 (an early massive parallel
computer). The code was written directly in GLSL, a C-like language
for the GPU. If they managed to capture a useful library of ABM
operations with a C calling interface implemented on a GPU this would
be very useful, and callable from EcoLab, Swarm and any of the Java
packages through JNI.

The test case ABM he refers to was Stupid Model, which at 2 million
agents on a 2560x1024 lattice is essentially at gridlock. However, I'm
sure he is achieving impressive performance also at 1 million agents,
which would have interesting dynamics. I was unable to get Repast or
Mason to scale to such a large simulation (perhaps because of my
ignorance of Java), but at smaller system sizes, Ecolab was only
slightly faster than the Java packages.

Cheers