Re: mousetrap; tee; globalTkInterp eval: naive-use

From: Roger M. Burkhart
Subject: Re: mousetrap; tee; globalTkInterp eval: naive-use
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 95 08:38:16 CDT

> I'm more interested in knowing what moustrap is supposed to do
> and why moustrap doesn't do anything for me even though all
> the other apps seem to work.

If mousetraps is working, you should see its effects right away.  On the
main display you should see a pattern of spreading red dots from the
center as the moustraps trigger and release ping pong balls (modeled only
by scheduled future events) to trigger neighboring mousetraps at random
direction, distance and time.  When I was at SFI just Monday this week the
mousetraps were triggering on the Sun version and updating the display,
but the graphs were not working since the way they need to collect data
(number of mousetraps triggered, number of ping pong balls in the air)
hasn't been updated since some other changes.  Ordinarily you see a
roughly exponential rise in the number of mousetraps being triggered until
they reach saturation within the space, after which it falls quickly until
no more are being triggered.

It's strange if mousetraps is the only thing that's not working.  It does
use the schedule in different ways from other apps, but I hope that's not
the problem.  If you want to try the core logic of mousetraps separate
from all the rest of Swarm (no user interface libs), you can go to apps/grid
and make mousetraps.  On my Sun here this is the way the output starts:

  trigger status of mousetrap at x: 03, y: 20 at time: 0 is 0
  mousetrap at x: 20, y: 20 triggered at time: 0
  trigger status of mousetrap at x: 03, y: 20 at time: 10 is 0
  mousetrap at x: 17, y: 20 triggered at time: 14
  trigger status of mousetrap at x: 03, y: 20 at time: 20 is 0
  mousetrap at x: 19, y: 17 triggered at time: 25
  mousetrap at x: 21, y: 17 triggered at time: 29
  trigger status of mousetrap at x: 03, y: 20 at time: 30 is 0
  mousetrap at x: 18, y: 15 triggered at time: 36
  mousetrap at x: 18, y: 14 triggered at time: 37
  [... continues for a total of 1266 lines]

This is the only way I run mousetraps here at my local site just now, so
that's the only suggestion I can give for now from here.

Roger