Re: /bin/ld: Unsatisfied symbols: with swarm-960110 and my apps

From: Nelson Minar
Subject: Re: /bin/ld: Unsatisfied symbols: with swarm-960110 and my apps
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 96 16:50:34 MST

>I installed the new swarm with no problems.
>The apps all run fine.  (However, the QUIT button doesn't
>quit, it does nothing, for axelcult, market, and bondblocks.)

Those three applications are still not running schedules - we've got
so many apps now, keeping them all up to date is a chore.

>Then I tried to remake one of my own little test template apps...it
>doesn't really do anything.  Note that this app does not use the control
>panel.

>/bin/ld: Unsatisfied symbols:
>   probeLibrary (data)
>   swarm_object_create_probe_display (code)
>*** Error code 1

sigh, I was afraid of that (Manor, you listening?) The problem is that
those symbols are defined in libsimtools.a, but aren't referenced
until libswarmobject.a, which is later. The relevant file is
simtools.o: if your app uses initSwarm() then you force a link of that
.o file.

The workaround for now, is to force a link of the .o, maybe by doing
  void * p = initSwarm;
in your code somewhere. Either that, or use initSwarm(). I'd like to
not have this sort of backward dependency in the libraries, so it
might be fixed yet. probeLibrary belongs in some part of libswarmobject.

>1. Why is it trying to find and not finding those probe related
>   things?   I don't actually use probes in this little app.

All swarm objects currently have a magic function that makes a probe
display, so even if you don't use them it gets linked in. We're not
sure yet if this is a good idea.

>2. How do I tell swarm to call a BOOL function of mine.
>   I once tried using  [swarmActivity setBreakFunction: myfn]
>   but that didn't seem to work.  (Maybe I didn't do it right...)
>   I ended up putting a call to it in the while ( )
>   in the explicity loop for running swarm, but now that loop
>   is gone!

break functions are something else. You can either wrap your function
call up in an object, or use the new createActionCall, which is for
calling functions.