/bin/ld: Unsatisfied symbols: with swarm-960110 and my apps

From: Rick Riolo
Subject: /bin/ld: Unsatisfied symbols: with swarm-960110 and my apps
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 1996 09:57:44 -0500 (EST)

Hi,
I installed the new swarm with no problems.
The apps all run fine.  (However, the QUIT button doesn't
quit, it does nothing, for axelcult, market, and bondblocks.)

Then I tried to remake one of my own little test template apps...it
doesn't really do anything.  Note that this app does not use the control
panel.  I modelled it after apps/grid/mousetraps.m so that it
runs in a batch mode.  Here is the makefile: -------------
SWARMHOME=/s/Swarm/swarm-960110
APPLICATION=exprun
OBJECTS=main.o Model.o ExpRun.o RParameter.o
LIBNAME=exprun
include $(SWARMHOME)/Makefile.appl
main.o: main.m RDebug.h
ExpRun.o: ExpRun.m ExpRun.h RDebug.h
ExpRun.o: ExpRun.m ExpRun.h RDebug.h
RParameter.o: RParameter.m RParameter.h RDebug.h
-----------
Here are some relevant bits of main.m.  Note the
only change I made between the version which was
linking/running with swarm-951209 and not working now
is the change the to the [swarmActivity run] seen here:
----------
#import <collections.h>
#import <tkobjc.h>
#import <space.h>
#import <simtools.h>
#import <activity.h>
#import <random.h>
    initActivity();
    swarmActivity = [swarmPlan start];
    [swarmActivity run];
-----------
Here is what happens:
maria-rlr)make
        gcc -c -g -Wall -Wno-import -I/s/Swarm/swarm-960110/include
-I/usr/include/X11R5 -I/usr/local/includ
e  main.m
main.m: In function `main':
main.m:28: warning: unused variable `displayActions'
        gcc -c -g -Wall -Wno-import -I/s/Swarm/swarm-960110/include
-I/usr/include/X11R5 -I/usr/local/include  Model.m
        gcc -c -g -Wall -Wno-import -I/s/Swarm/swarm-960110/include
-I/usr/include/X11R5 -I/usr/local/include  ExpRun.m
        gcc -c -g -Wall -Wno-import -I/s/Swarm/swarm-960110/include
-I/usr/include/X11R5 -I/usr/local/include  RParameter.m
        gcc -L/s/Swarm/swarm-960110/lib -L/usr/lib/X11R5
-L/usr/local/lib  -o exprun main.o Model.o ExpRun.o
 RParameter.o -lga -lneuro -lspace -lsimtools -ltkobjc -lactivity
-lrandom -lswarmobject -lcollections -ldef
obj -ltclobjc -lBLT -ltk -ltcl -lXpm -lX11 -lobjc -lm
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
/bin/ld: Unsatisfied symbols:
   probeLibrary (data)
   swarm_object_create_probe_display (code)
*** Error code 1
-----------------

To repeat: I only changed the Makefile to point to the new
swarm tree, and changed in main the [swarmActivity run] form.

So my questions:
1. Why is it trying to find and not finding those probe related
   things?   I don't actually use probes in this little app.

2. How do I tell swarm to call a BOOL function of mine.
   I once tried using  [swarmActivity setBreakFunction: myfn]
   but that didn't seem to work.  (Maybe I didn't do it right...)
   I ended up putting a call to it in the while ( )
   in the explicity loop for running swarm, but now that loop
   is gone!

thanks for any advice.
  -r

Rick Riolo                       address@hidden
Program for Study of Complex Systems (PSCS)
1061 Randall Lab     University of Michigan
Ann Arbor MI 48109-1120
http://pscs.physics.lsa.umich.edu/rlr-home.html