Re: Various comments

From: Sven Thommesen
Subject: Re: Various comments
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 19:43:00 -0700

At 04:23 PM 8/19/96 -0700, Benedikt Stefansson wrote:
>Hi Sven et al,
>
>Just my five cents worth:
>
>Let's start using the file read and object read objects first
>before we start talking about protocols, it is not clear to me
>at this stage if there is any need for users to standardize on how
>they initialize their model objects internally. It is really a question
>of style and convenience.

        Well,  that was exactly what I was asking. You say it's purely
        a question of personal choice, I asked if there were any
        practical or theoretical reasons for using one approach over
        the other.  Let's see if others have anything to contribute.

>Sven wrote:
>
>"Rather than "re-assigning" objects during creation, e.g. in
>this case:
>
>        heatDisplay = [Value2dDisplay createBegin: aZone];
>          [heatDisplay setParameter: parameterValue];
>        heatDisplay = [heatDisplay createEnd];
><...>"
>
>There seems to be small misunderstanding here.
>
>The object heatDisplay is not being reassigned.

>Using the indermediate object as you suggested would be pointless.

        Sorry, Benedikt, but when it comes to Create Phase Protocol objects
        I believe you haven't understood what's happening. For objects
        emplying this method, the object returned on the 'createEnd' call
        may be entirely different from the object returned by 'createBegin'.
        The Swarm documentation specifically reminds us to "reassign"
        the object (heatDisplay in my example) to make sure we end up with
        the final object and not the 'proto' object generated by createBegin.
        I stand by my story (and my questions),  as newspapers like to say.

--Sven