passing pointers to classes

From: Steve Emsley
Subject: passing pointers to classes
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 19:30:04 +0100

Hi,

I'm sure this is a basic question but I've tried all the options I can
think of without success.

When I'm developing new classes I use a cut down swarm as a test-bed i.e. just
call initSwarm and declare the new class. The class that I'm developing
presently needs to message another class to get some data. My main.m has the
code:

int
main(int argc, char ** argv) {
  id theTestSwarm,theLightSwarm;
  int i;

  initSwarm(argc, argv);

  theLightSwarm = [LightModel createBegin: globalZone];
  theLightSwarm = [theLightSwarm createEnd];

  theTestSwarm = [POModel createBegin: globalZone];
  theTestSwarm = [theTestSwarm createEnd];
  [theTestSwarm setLightModel: theLightSwarm];

  [theTestSwarm run];

  return 0;
}

I know that the pointer to the object is OK since I can send messages to it.

In the TestSwarm class I have a method:
-(void)setLightModel: (id) l { lightModel = l; return ; }

so that I can call a method such as:

        [lightModel getIrradiance];

Trouble is that I get the following error:
POModel.m:665: warning: cannot find method.
POModel.m:665: warning: return type for `getLightSpace' defaults to id

When I print the id for lightSpace and theLightSwarm, which should be the
same, I get different answers.

Can anyone give me a pointer!
Much appreciated,
Steve

 Steve Emsley                   Ecosystems Analysis & Management Group
 address@hidden         University of Warwick, England
 http://www.oikos.warwick.ac.uk/~sme/             (+44) (0)1598 753648