Re: Dynamic schedules and execution speed

From: Rob Kewley
Subject: Re: Dynamic schedules and execution speed
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 21:08:31 -0300

Roger M. Burkhart wrote:

> This sounds like horribly slow speed and I know of nothing in the schedule
> machinery that could produce such slowdown (even if Autodrop weren't
> working), but that's not to say there's not something somewhere.  Please
> send me your template code example so I can look at that example for a
> start.  Unfortunately, I'm currently traveling, so I can't say how fast
> a response I can give myself, but I'll at least try to look at the code.
> Dynamic schedules are at the heart of what Swarm is about and while there
> can be some penalty relative to a static one, it should only be a relatively
> minor percentage.  Can you give a little idea how many actions of what kind
> you are scheduling, and removing, from your dynamic schedule on each
> iteration?

I was able to find a workaround to the problem with the dynamic schedule
(through trial and error, aka "Brute force and ignorance!).  My model
uses three schedules - two repeating and one dynamic.  When I created a
separate sub-swarm for only the dynamic schedule, activated the sub
swarm in the model swarm, activated the dynamic schedule in the sub
swarm, and activated the repeating schedules in the model swarm, the
entire simulation ran and iterated without a slow down.  However, I
still believe there is a bug in the dynamic schedule or swarm schedule
merging machinery that causes the slow down.  I tried to find it but got
lost in the source code.

Rob Kewley