Solaris Binary Installation Report/Gripe

From: glen e. p. ropella
Subject: Solaris Binary Installation Report/Gripe
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 08:10:48 -0600

I'll defer to Doug for the explanation of why we're using a
big object file as opposed to a randomized archive.  And
we have absolutely no excuse for not having a better README.
But, I do want to address some stuff.

Barry McMullin writes:
 > in the "standard" places.  I knew this *was* a standard
 > problem, so I checked the FAQ but couldn't find
 > anything there; tried search on the Swarm site for

Well, I apologize for the web-site not pointing to the
latest FAQ.  But, it has been mentioned in the Pheromone
and on the Swarm-Support list that Paul Johnson has stepped
up to redo the FAQ.  The latest version is on his site:

http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/linux/FAQ.html

This will soon be remedied.  I am going to completely upgrade
the docs and the web pages for this upcoming release (1.0.3,
which will be ready any minute now [grin]).

 > conflict).  So I suggest this issue should be added to
 > the FAQ, and the README (at least in the binary
 > distributions).

Yes, you're right.  And they will be.

 > o Why are there no 1.0.2 binaries?

Mainly because I've been too lazy to build them.  Actually,
I've been badgered by several people about this.  The
primary reason I haven't done it yet is because I was
hoping to get SGI and DEC Alpha binaries.  When I got those,
I was going to update the entire collection.  I never got
those, and so the entire process broke down.  [sigh]  And
I understand that that's not sufficient excuse.  There
will be 1.0.3 binaries.

 > Having said that, I want to end by saying that I still
 > very much support the idea of binary distributions, and
 > they really can make swarm significantly more
 > accessible.

Agreed!

glen
--
{glen e. p. ropella <address@hidden> |  Send lawyers, guns, and money!  }
{Hive Drone, SFI Swarm Project         |            Hail Eris!            }