Re: Solaris Binary Installation Report/Gripe

From: Douglas Orr
Subject: Re: Solaris Binary Installation Report/Gripe
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 15:00:36 -0600

At 08:10 AM 9/10/97 -0600, glen e. p. ropella wrote:

>I'll defer to Doug for the explanation of why we're using a
>big object file as opposed to a randomized archive.  And
>we have absolutely no excuse for not having a better README.
>But, I do want to address some stuff.

The problem we're solving with the binary distribution (and, there are
several we're not solving, as you've noticed) is that it's nearly
impossible to get the right combination of versions of the eight or twelve
odd component libraries Swarm uses.  So, I "solve" the problem by using the
swarm components linked up to induce ld to extract the pieces of
tk/tcl/whateverelse it may need from a set of archives we happen to know
has exactly the right combination of .o's within.

The side effect of this process of discovering what we really need within
tk/tcl/... is, the resulting object file gets all the correct library
.o's... and all of the swarm components baked into it as well.  Which
brings us to Barry's problem.  Once the swarm components are in, most
linkers don't know how to get them out.

Now, as to whether there are any ways to not get them in, in the first
place: I hadn't thought of it before, but I *might* be able to do something
like, figure out what components would be used from the archives by using
something like lorder and tsort, the way we used to build properly ordered
archives in the good-old-days before the invention of ranlib.  But, given
that these are the good-new-days after the invention of ranlib, I wouldn't
totally guarantee that either lorder or tsort are available or in working
order on all of our platforms, given that who in their right mind would use
them now, present company excepted.  And, I don't remember if you have
exactly the information you need from those programs to avoid .o's that
aren't referenced.

But, as I say, it's a possibility.  And, if someone else has some more
obvious solution to extracting only the archive members you would use in a
link, but not linking them, I'll happily take a look at any other
reasonable suggestion...

        -Doug