Re: Redhat 5.0 libtclobjc problems: here are the error messages

From: Benedikt Stefansson
Subject: Re: Redhat 5.0 libtclobjc problems: here are the error messages
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 1997 22:46:46 -0800

Paul Johnson wrote:

[snip]

> Oh, well.  The binary swarm runs and is probably a good way for most people to
> get around the redhat 5.0 use of tcl/tk 8.0.  I'm just being stubborn  trying
> to make the archive install work because, well, I'm stubborn and want to use
> the debugger.

Sorry I have no solution for your problem, but in reference to using GDB with
the
binary version, I want to underline that you can still debug programs easily
with
that version. I can live with the fact that with a binary install GDB can't step
into Swarm library methods - bugs are least likely to be found there anyway. The
Objective-C aware version of GDB, run through Emacs is a pretty  nice system. To
avoid the gory warning messages when you hit a library method, just use "next"
instead of "step" and the debugger will invoke the method without further
complaints.

By the way, you said that you managed to wipe out the system while upgrading to
RedHat 5.0. I'm running 4.0 and I'm curious if I should take the plunge - two
questions: a) what is the main argument in favor of an upgrade? b) is there no
automagical program on the RedHat CD-ROM that allows you to upgrade from 4.x to
the
new version?

Regards,
-Benedikt

Benedikt Stefansson                 address@hidden
Department of Economics, UCLA       Fax. (310) 825-9528
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1477          Tel. (310) 825-4126