Re: Linux/WindowsNT

From: Jan Kreft
Subject: Re: Linux/WindowsNT
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 15:41:42 +0000 (GMT)

Hi,

On Tue, 16 Dec 1997, Ginger Booth wrote:

>     So I need to bone up on WinNT/Linux, enough that I can create a
> cross-platform network, of (I think?) machines interoperable WinNT/Linux,
> by user/on demand, NFS'd together, probably with HPUX machines still in
> the mix, and possibly SGI's and an ancient SparcStation.  With common
> accessories (multimedia station, backups, zip drive, printers, application
> depositories both Linux and WinNT side, etc.)  Like, "WinNT for Dummies"
> probably lacks needed detail.

I recently stumbled across an article about OpenNT. This might be what you
want? OpenNT allows running of Linux/Unix applications on NT, that is, you
can run WinWord etc. on NT and at the same time run gcc etc. on Linux on
NT on the same machine! An X Server is included. Most GNU stuff runs
according to the marketing hype at

http://www.softway.com/Opennt/home.htm

though my beloved ;-) emacs is not (yet?) on the list of working apps.

I'm seriously thinking of installing OpenNT myself, so any
comments/experiences with OpenNT from others are welcome.

Hope this helps,

Jan.