Re: Illegal Instruction: swarm1.0.3 on sparc-solaris

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: Illegal Instruction: swarm1.0.3 on sparc-solaris
Date: 17 Dec 1997 08:19:34 -0800

SE> Program received signal SIGILL, Illegal instruction.
SE> 0x17822c in __objc_init_install_dtable ()

SE> The gcc version is 2.7.2.3.f.1 sparc-sun-solaris 2.5.1

SE> I notice that there seems to be sparc_sun_solaris 2.4 files
SE> hanging around.  For instance libobjc.a exits both in

SE> /usr/local/gnu/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.4/2.7.2.1.f.1/libobjc.a
SE> /usr/local/gnu/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.5.1/2.7.2.3.f.1/libobjc.a

What is probably causing this is that the binary distribution you
downloaded was compiled with a different version or subversion of GCC
than your local GCC.  Although I don't actually know which version of
GCC was used to compile the binary distribution, I'm almost certain it
wasn't a Fortran-equipped backend, like yours (I suspect the binary
distribution was built on Solaris 2.5 using gcc-2.7.2).  The reason
for your two different GCC backend subdirectories is to accomodate a
different include file structure between Solaris 2.4 and Solaris 2.5
(even 2.5 and 2.5.1 are different).  When GCC is installed there is a
lengthly `fixincludes' procedure that checks all the include files for
objectionable constructs and then fixes them, to be installed within
the GCC tree.

I'd suggest getting your sysadmin to do a real source install.  Once
you've got Tcl, Tk, BLT, and tclobjc installed systemwide, its pretty
easy to rebuild Swarm whenever you want.  I wouldn't bother
investigating the weirdities of a binary distribution if I were you.