why does control panel appear when it does?

From: Rick Riolo
Subject: why does control panel appear when it does?
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 16:16:23 -0500 (EST)

I noticed today that the standard GUI control panel in
Swarm (heatbugs, say) appears on the screen right
after the execution of this line:

  CREATE_ARCHIVED_PROBE_DISPLAY (heatbugModelSwarm);

in HeatbugsObserverSwarm-buildObjects method.

I'm curious as to why the control panel comes up then.

I poked around a few levels down, but didn't really
find the cause before I ran out of time to play.
I am assuming it must be something like
- the control panel gets created earlier,
  eg when the ObserverSwarm gets created.
- the creation of the probe into the model sets off
  a message to the tkinterpretor, which one way or another
  tells it to display any outstanding tk widgets.

Is that about it?  Where does it all happen?

Are there any examples out there of creating
a control panel with more user-defined buttons?

thanks.

 - r

Rick Riolo                           address@hidden
Program for Study of Complex Systems (PSCS)
4068 Randall Lab
University of Michigan         Ann Arbor MI 48109-1120
Phone: 313 763 3323                  Fax: 313 763 9267
http://www.pscs.umich.edu/PEOPLE/rlr-home.html