Re: Workshop on Integrating GIS and Multi-Agent Modellingn Techniques an

From: Rob Kewley
Subject: Re: Workshop on Integrating GIS and Multi-Agent Modellingn Techniques announcement
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 12:53:36 -0500

Irene Anne Lee wrote:

> Workshop on Integrating GIS and Multi-Agent Modelling Techniques
>
>   I would like to inform you of a workshop we are arranging on
> integrating GIS and multi-agent modelling techniques. The workshop
> will take place at the Santa Fe Institute on March 20-22, 1998.

>   The purpose of this workshop is to bring together researchers
> with a mutual interest in the science and technology of dynamic
> and multi-agent modelling in the context of spatial data, in
> order to inform ourselves about the full spectrum of modelling
> expertise and technology available to us, and, hopefully, to
> discover ways in which we can collaborate in our modelling
> efforts to promote general purpose, reusable modelling tools,
> and to reduce duplication of effort.

I have coded up a couple of small objects that seem to fit the goals of
this workshop.  An elevation map object reads information from a terrain
elevation file downloaded from the USGS web site.  It has internal
routines to interpolate elevation at any point (not restricted to
integer values) on the grid.  It also has a routine to determine whether
line of sight exists from one point to another in this three dimensional
space.  An elevation display object displays the contents of an
elevation map object in color.  I have attached a jpeg copy of this
display for an area at Fort Irwin, CA.  The dark areas are high
elevation and the low areas are tan.  The red and blue dots represent
opposing military forces.  The white dots are destroyed vehicles.  As
you can see in the image, the vehicles do not start attrition until they
get within sight of each other (red is moving from left to right toward
blue).

Rob Kewley

JPEG image