Re: USGS elevation file data objects

From: Rob Kewley
Subject: Re: USGS elevation file data objects
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 13:19:10 -0500

Robert E. Bell wrote:

> That's great!  USGS elevation files were on the list of Arborgames
> improvements
> for post-swarmfest...guess now they can be pre-swarmfest :-)   Have you
> posted the objects or sent them to Alex? (Sorry Alex...I know your swamped...
> but this fits into the ecological modeler's wish list we spoke of :-)
> I would certainly like to see these...thanks!

Robert and Alex and anyone else interested in GIS elevation data:

Attached to this message is a small tarball containing the source code
and demo for an object to read USGS elevation data and perform
interpolation and line of sight calculations on it.  There is also an
subclass of the raster object which displays elevation data in the
background.  I hope these items are useful.  I also hope to get to the
GIS conference prior  to Swarm Fest where needs to improve or modify
these objects may be addressed.

While we are on the subject, I am looking for an algorithm to convert
latitude and longitude coordinates to the military grid reference
system.  If anyone has access or pointers to such an algorithm, please
e-mail me and/or bring it to the GIS conference.

Rob Kewley