Re: problem making swarm-1.4.1 (-O3) under rh6.0

From: Paul E. Johnson
Subject: Re: problem making swarm-1.4.1 (-O3) under rh6.0
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 11:34:03 -0500

"Marcus G. Daniels" wrote:

> RLR> It doesn't seem to work, nor does a couple of other variants I
> RLR> tried
>
> Lovely.  Does it occur with -O2?
>
> (You didn't get this Paul?)

No I have not seen it but I also have not tried to compile anything that
uses the Arguments library.

I think people who have RH6 should try the RPM (the one in the
RPMSforRH6 directory with a name like
"swarm-with-hdf5-1.4.1-RH6-egcscorrected.rpm" or such name.  It might be
better titled "that
rpm_I_put_there_as_a_test_and_nobody_complained_about_yet.rpm"  I've not
heard any complaints about it, don't know if anybody is using it but
me).   Or get the SRPM I posted, do rpm -ivh, then go to the
/usr/src/redhat directory, edit the spec file to change the prefix if
desired, then rpm -bp swarm*.spec. This will unpack the source into
/usr/src/redhat/build/swarm-1.4.1.  You can verify for yourself the
changes in the source by examining the patch file.  You can try to build
swarm by hand in that BUILD/swarm directory. To make a new rpm, do "rpm
-bb swarm*.spec" from the SPEC directory.  I really really like the
package concept--build it, install it, easily yank out its guts.

I don't have a copy of Rick's application so I cannot check to see if it
compiles/runs on my system.  If there is a tarball, send it and I can
just try to build and execute.  The UM heatbugsPlus package, from what I
recall, required various subsidiary packages that I did not want to
decipher. I've not looked at this in a while, however.  The worry I have
is that it is making some different usage of arg than expected.

I can send anybody on a "private line" the copy of egcs I made that is
patched with Marcus's fixup (for the objc object not found warnings).
If you want to build swarm and not get those stupid warnings, then you
need to use the patched egcs.  If you use the RPM I supply, then you
don't get those warnings, even if you use your distribution's egcs. I'm
not posting it because I'm not taking responsibility for it....

--
Paul E. Johnson                         email: address@hidden
Dept. of Political Science              http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn