Re: swarm 1.4 to 1.4.1 difference? Or redhat 5.2 vs 6.0? argp.h

From: Paul E. Johnson
Subject: Re: swarm 1.4 to 1.4.1 difference? Or redhat 5.2 vs 6.0? argp.h
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 1999 10:41:55 -0500

This is turning into some kind of ridiculous nightmare.  I'm sorry that
my patch caused your difficulties. If you care to, you can just edit the
spec file and recompile without patching the swarm source.  One strength
of the rpm approach is that I distribute the totally pristine source and
a patch file and you can separate the effects.

The patch file I does three things, essentially.

1. comments out one usage of *strchr
2. fixes up some strdup( tkglobalinterp) usages
3. obliterates all argp* from that Makefile.am.

If you do not use #3, no swarm apps will run, they crash saying there
are too many arguments.  At the time I made that change, I did it
because I THOUGHT it was recommended on the list here:

http://www.santafe.edu/projects/swarm/archive/list-archive.9904/0161.html
I quote:

KL> :./bug bug: Too many arguments Try `bug --help' or `bug --usage'
KL> for more information.

MD>Is this a new glibc-2.1-based Redhat or Debian system?
MD>If so, you can avoid this problem by removing all the argp* functions
MD>from the src/misc/Makefile and rebuilding/reinstalling (be sure to
MD>delete libmisc.la).

I gather from yesterday's discussion here there should be one change
that should be made as well, the Arguments.[hm] files in the source
should have their includes fixed, changing <misc/argp.h> to just
<argp.h>.  It was not totally clear, however, if making that fix
eliminates the need to do step 3.

--
Paul E. Johnson                         email: address@hidden
Dept. of Political Science              http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn