Re: swarm 1.4 to 1.4.1 difference? Or redhat 5.2 vs 6.0? argp.h

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: swarm 1.4 to 1.4.1 difference? Or redhat 5.2 vs 6.0? argp.h
Date: 05 Jun 1999 08:58:53 -0700

PJ> I gather from yesterday's discussion here there should be one change
PJ> that should be made as well, the Arguments.[hm] files in the source
PJ> should have their includes fixed, changing <misc/argp.h> to just
PJ> <argp.h>.  It was not totally clear, however, if making that fix
PJ> eliminates the need to do step 3.

argp is an argument parsing feature that is now provided by the GNU C
library found in newer Linux-based systems, e.g. Redhat 6.  argp has an
interface (argp.h) and an implementation (the argp-* files found in
src/misc).

The reason for the `misc' library is to make all systems look the same
to the rest of Swarm, i.e. like a modern GNU system.  In some cases,
this means adding some functions.  In other cases, the functions
already exist (as with argp on Redhat 6), and Swarm should use the
native features (not introducing replacement files).

Because the system library can do fancy things to header files to
integrate with conventions on the rest of the system, it is desirable
to use the native headers with the native implementation.  argp was
actually a case where in introducing `stock' replacement files *conflicted*
with the system, and wasn't just a matter of wasting space.