Re: Averager usage

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: Averager usage
Date: 22 Jun 1999 18:41:39 -0700

SME> I see setArg is in the USING section of MessageProbe. That means
SME> I can create just one Averager and run though the setArg step
SME> each time before updating?

Yeah, that'll work.  I did it the other way just to suggest the
notion of a cached closure.  In some circumstances it might actually
make sense to have multiple preconfigured instances for performance.

Actually, if I knew beforehand all I was going to want was a simple
average, I wouldn't code to use these (sort of cubersome) objects.
If possible, I'd try to lay things out in C arrays beforehand and do
`for' loops.¹

SME> I've not seen DSIZE before; I presume its a macro for sizeof?

Yeah, it's a macro in defobj.h to give a conservative approximation of
the size needed for expressing a given integer type in decimal text.

¹ <<Running for cover.>>