Re: Averager usage

From: sme
Subject: Re: Averager usage
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 02:17:56 +0100

Thanks Marcus,

Your solution is clear and concise. This sort of thing should be
included in the documentation. An example goes a long way in
demystifying the terse style of the refbook.

My waterColumn and phytoList are lists and both contain a number of
layers and species based on run time choice so your implementation as
arrays with predefined dimension doesn't work for me. Although by the
time I instantiate the Averager I do know these sizes. I could
dynamically allocate the averager array and setArg: 0 ToString: arg0
where arg0 is the offset in the phytoList.

I see setArg is in the USING section of MessageProbe. That means I can
create just one Averager and run though the setArg step each time
before updating? Seems to work O.K. Does your solution consumes more
memory by having 1000 Averager objects whereas mine requires 2000
extra message calls. Is choice here based on RAM vrs. CPU or are there
other issues?

char arg0[DSIZE (unsigned) + 1];
I've not seen DSIZE before; I presume its a macro for sizeof?

Cheers
--
  Steve Emsley                    Ecology & Epidemiology Group
  address@hidden                   University of Warwick