model source code

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: model source code
Date: 20 Jun 2000 10:09:52 -0700

I'd like to point out that
ftp://ftp.swarm.org/pub/swarm/src/users-contrib/incoming is a
write-only area.  Putting things there doesn't mean anyone can get
them.  Reproducing bugs can be difficult or impossible in some cases
without having runnable code.

And, judging from my e-mail, it seems to me there are a lot of
projects out there, but for whatever reason often model source code
isn't available.  An important goal of Swarm is to promote model
readability, not just to be a library to making writing models.

I'd also like to point out that although the defobj, collections, and
activity libraries are under the LGPL, Swarm as an aggregate is
distributed under the General Public License (GPL).  That means that
unless you purchase a special license from the SDG, *if* you
*distribute* a binary for a model (for profit or not), you are
obligated to provide source code with that model, and not restrict the
recipients of model (e.g. your customer or sponsor).