problem with latest win32 patch for java VarProbe

From: Steve Brophy
Subject: problem with latest win32 patch for java VarProbe
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 15:44:46 -0400

Hello,
I think this is the same problem which had been fixed in an earlier patch,
where I couldn't get a VarProbe for an instance variable which belonged to a
java superclass.  The fix had been working fine, but when we recently set up
a computer at another site (using swarm 2.1.1 binary install for windows and
then adding the patches from the
ftp://ftp.swarm.org/pub/swarm/binaries/w32/2.1.1-fixes directory), it no
longer worked.  If we copy in the "javaswarm.dll" fix which we had
downloaded last April, then it seems ok.  This is happening both on an NT
and a Windows 98 machine.

We can run using our older patch files, just want to be sure that this fix
stays included when all the patches are rolled up into future releases.

Here is the test which triggers the problem:

import swarm.Globals;
import swarm.objectbase.VarProbe;

class BaseClass {
    public String myName;
}
class SubClass extends BaseClass {
    public int id;
}

public class Test1 {
        Globals.env.initSwarm("test1","00","smb",args);
        VarProbe vp = null;
        vp = Globals.env.probeLibrary.getProbeForVariable$inClass(
                                "myName", SubClass.class);
        System.out.println("Got a varprobe, vp = " + vp);
    }
}

and the error that shows up with the latest win32 "javaswarm.dll" or the
"libkaffeswarm.dll" files:

*** event raised for warning: WarningMessage
*** function: _i_ProbeMap__getProbeForVariable_(), file:
/src/Swarm/swarm/src/objectbase/ProbeMap.m, line: 586
The variable myName was not found
*** execution continuing...

thanks,
Steve Brophy