Re: problem with latest win32 patch for java VarProbe

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: problem with latest win32 patch for java VarProbe
Date: 30 Jun 2000 20:01:51 -0700

SB> I think this is the same problem which had been fixed in an
SB> earlier patch, where I couldn't get a VarProbe for an instance
SB> variable which belonged to a java superclass.

That's the behavior that VarProbe and the ProbeLibrary
getProbeForVariable have always had.  I don't have an objection to
changing the behavior of those two cases, but since the ProbeLibrary
method is currently based on ProbeMaps (which *ought* to be restricted
to the immediate declared class), it would take some reworking.

I'd suggest for clarity you subclass VarProbe and explicitly
instantiate the probes you want.  (Your subclass would step up through
the hierarchy testing each one for the variable.)