Re: Problem with using RAM

From: Marie-Edith Bissey
Subject: Re: Problem with using RAM
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 14:39:14 +0200 (MEST)

On Wed, 3 Oct 2001, Babjak Jozef wrote:

|Hi!
|
|I have some problem with using a RAM during running simulation. Everything
|running well, but when used memory is approximately 210MB
|(Kaffe.exe have alocated approximately 134MB RAM), I obtain this message
|in terminal window:
|
|/src/Swarm/swarm/src/misc/xmalloc.c:26 xmalloc
|      0 [sig] Kaffe 1032 stackdump: Dumping stack trace to
|            Kaffe.exe.stackdump

Salve!

I do not know your program, but when I had this problem, I solved
it by using as many Java objects as possible: Java lists, maps and
arrays instead of Swarm ones, for instance.
The reason for this is that Java objects will be "garbage collected"
(that is eliminated automatically once they are no longer useful),
whereas Swarm objects will be accumulated in memory. So either you use
Java objects, or you are careful to "drop" every Swarm object once
you are done with it.
Also, my simulation ended up _much_ faster when using more Java
objects.

Hope this helps,

Marie-Edith.

Marie-Edith Bissey
Universita` del Piemonte Orientale "Amedeo Avogadro"
Facolta` di Science Politiche         email: address@hidden
Corso Borsalino 50                    tel: +39-0131-283700
15 100 Alessandria -- ITALIA          fax: +39-0131-263030
http://polis.unipmn.it/doc/bis/hp.htm