RE: Jave IDE

From: Christopher J. Mackie
Subject: RE: Jave IDE
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 12:35:16 -0500

I've been using Eclipse (www.eclipse.org), an industrial-strength IDE which
is easy to configure for Swarm, plus has Ant and CVS built-in, as well as a
plug-in for JUnit (www.junit.org).  Forte/NetBeans is a bit more
heavy-handed on the CASE support (it will spend more time building methods
for you), but Eclipse has all the core stuff you need, plus some nifty
refactoring capabilities: Martin Fowler has been calling it one of the two
best refactoring implementations in the open source community (see
http://www.refactoring.com).

Eclipse is multi-platform (written in Java), open source, and expandable.
They're finalizing a module for C/C++ support right now, and it wouldn't be
hard to add a plug-in for Objective C.  It's built from code donated by IBM
(from the WebSphere IDE project, I believe), so it's more polished than most
open-source offerings.  If you run into trouble setting it up for Swarm
(after completing the built-in tutorial), I can help.

http://www.eclipse.org

There are many other options: JEdit, Jext, TextPad, WinEdt, etc., all of
which integrate (to some degree) with java Swarm.  Many of them work better
in combination with Ant (http://jakarta.apache.org/ant/index.html).  I've
run JHeatbugs on every one just listed, and there are dozens more that
should work but that I haven't seen tested.  Most of these lighter-weight
packages have limited integrated debugging, however.

Ultimately, it comes down to personal preference: there's no substitute for
trying several and seeing which you like best.

Best,  --Chris

Christopher J. Mackie
Princeton University
address@hidden