Re: Mystical segfault

From: Ken Gosier
Subject: Re: Mystical segfault
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 10:12:56 -0800 (PST)

Many thanks for the help. I didn't think that Button may
already be taken. I'll hit it later today or tomorrow.

ps. It doesn't surprise me that the activity stuff crashes.
Memory zones are probably stepping on each other. Chalk it
up to swarm-rustiness. :)

--- Rick Riolo <address@hidden> wrote:

> [...]
> had
> and (b) there already is something called Button in Swarm
> (and so maybe it was getting confused, tho I don't know
> why).
>
> BTW, two other things:
> a) don't you need to put that setCount on the create:
>   statement for the Array?
>   (either that or change to the createBegin:/createEnd
> approach).
>
> b) It still crashes, when it tries to fire up the
>   schedule.  I'll leave solving that as as exercise for
> the reader.
>
> - r
>
> --
> Rick Riolo                           address@hidden
> Center for Study of Complex Systems (CSCS)
> 4477 Randall Lab
> University of Michigan         Ann Arbor MI 48109-1120
> Phone: 734 763 3323                  Fax: 734 763 9267
> http://www.pscs.umich.edu/PEOPLE/rlr-home.html
>
> On Fri, 22 Feb 2002, Ken Gosier wrote:
>
> > Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 07:12:54 -0500 (EST)
> > From: Ken Gosier <address@hidden>
> > To: address@hidden
> > Subject: Mystical segfault
> >
> > Hello, I posted to this list a bit last year. I've been
> off doing other
> > things for a while, but now I'm hoping to get more back
> into swarm stuff.
> >
> > To get back into a swarm state of mind, I thought it'd
> be fun to code up
> > Stuart Kauffman's "Buttons and Threads" models which he
> describes in at
> > least 2 of his books. In this model you have a set of
> buttons laying
> > around. You gradually start connecting the buttons two
> at a time by adding
> > in threads. The punchline is, as the number of threads
> becomes larger than
> > 0.5 * the number of buttons, you should have a "phase
> shift" where the
> > largest cluster size quickly becomes much larger.
> >
> > So I've written up a simple sim in swarm to do this.
> The problem is,
> > I'm getting a seg fault I haven't been able to figure
> out. Even though
> > the code isn't very complicated, a few hundred lines.
> >
> > The model set-up is, the modelSwarm contains an Array
> of Button objects,
> > where Buttons are really just holders for integers.
> (Each Button has an int
> > which distinguishes it.)
> >
> > The segfault happens in the buildObjects method for
> modelSwarm. I have a
> > loop where I create the Buttons, then assign them their
> values. When I try
> > to send a Button a 'set' message, I get the segfault.
> I'm attaching the
> > code as a tarball. Specifically, the segfault happens
> at line 181 of
> > ModelSwarm.m. The output of gdb here is:
> >
> > 181           [thisButton setButtonVal: i];
> > (gdb) next
> >
> > Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
> > 0x401c34d5 in swarm_directory_objc_find (env=0x0,

/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/swarm-2.1.1/src/defobj/directory.m:206
> > 206
> /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/swarm-2.1.1/src/defobj/directory.m:
> No such
> > file or directory.
> >
> > If it helps: I'm running swarm-2.1.1 on rh6.2 with
> gcc-2.91. I installed
> > from the tarball, and I'm able to compile and run
> heatbugs fine.
> >
> > I can provide any more info that's needed. This is
> probably something very
> > simple, so many thanks for any help--
> >

>                   ==================================
>    Swarm-Support is for discussion of the technical
> details of the day
>    to day usage of Swarm.  For list administration needs
> (esp.
>    [un]subscribing), please send a message to
> <address@hidden>
>    with "help" in the body of the message.

=====
Ken Gosier