Re: Problem building swarm-2002-05-14

From: W . Northcott
Subject: Re: Problem building swarm-2002-05-14
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 20:42:08 +1000

> By the way, how goes the MacOS X port?  Do you still need to create
> that macosx subdirectory on the CVS server at Savannah?  If you're
> already creating code and/or config files/Makefiles, we should have
> them up there sooner rather than later.  Just send me a tarball, with
> instructions on where it should go, and I can check it in.

It has been the first couple of weeks of our University session.  So
students and other computer issues have been occupying my time.  I have
rebuilt a couple of Sun boxes with Solaris 9.  So I am fairly into Solaris
quirks and some of the new issues with 5.9.  Sun say the GNU compatability
is much improved, but the compiler supplied is still 2.95.3.  If I get
some time over the next few weeks, I will try to do a build.

As for MacOS X: Alessandro posted a message a couple of weeks back saying
he had compiled most of the libraries.  He did offer to send a tarball,
but I could not see much use for compiled code which was not functional. I
suggested he send a recipe.  That way others could do their own build and
do some debugging.  so far I did not get a reply.

It would be good to put up some web pages on Savannah with recipes so far.
 That way others could build suitable compilers and libraries and do their
own work.  The macosx directory in the cvs can wait until we have a PB
project and some Mac specific code.

I look forward to Jaguar, which should be faster, more GNU friendly and
will include a usable gcc3.1.

Bill Northcott