Re: Java Swarm

From: Paul E Johnson
Subject: Re: Java Swarm
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 14:24:15 -0500

1. Install Swarm. See SwarmFaq. Install requires the Objective-C stuff and Java stuff. Its up to you to decide which Java SDK you want and which edition of Swarm.

I recommend running it on RedHat Linux 7.3 and using the RPMS I provide. But you can feel free to try any other platform you like.

2. Get a java app like jheatbugs or jmousetrap. look in ftp://ftp.swarm.org/apps/java for them. If you install a swarm 2.2 pretest, you need a new version of jheatbugs from the testing subdir under java apps.

There is a java tutorial project in progress now, you can join and contribute.

Alex wrote:

"I've migrated it from the old SourceForge
location):

http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/swarm/jtutorial/

Instructions on anonymous CVS check out are at:

http://savannah.gnu.org/cvs/?group=swarm
"

Greg Madey recently posted:
"
To support a course I taught this past semester using Java/Swarm, I
collected a number of links to useful resources. They can be found at:

http://www.cse.nd.edu/courses/cse498j/www/Resources/resources.html

Hope this helps.

Greg Madey
"

Since I don't like Java very much, I view any help I do for Java users as a labor of true self sacrifice, and if you or anybody else wants to start a Java SwarmFaq I would be delighted. Similarly, if any Windoze user wants to take up Window SwarmFaq, I would be delighted.

pj

Russ Abbott wrote:
Hi,
I'd like to use JavaSwarm, but I'm confused about how. I did manage to find section 7 of the FAQ, but it explicitly refuses to include a link to a JavaSwarm tutorial (and I couldn't find anything else at www.swarm.org <http://www.swarm.org>). Is there any straightforward description of how to download swarm and then use Java to create a model? Question 7.1 makes reference to lots of things that appear to be discussed elsewhere. Where should someone start? I am hoping to find something like: 1. Step 1.
2. Step 2.
etc. and at the end be able to run a JavaSwarm model, perhaps one of the existing examples. Is there any such thing? Thanks. -- Russ Abbott

1541 Lilac Lane, Rm 504