RE: Java Swarm for non-Sys-Admin types

From: Christopher J. Mackie
Subject: RE: Java Swarm for non-Sys-Admin types
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 00:02:43 -0400

Somebody made the point recently that Swarm installs more easily in Windows
than in just about any other OS.  Can't say for sure, as I've never
installed it anywhere else, but my experience with it has certainly been
reasonably pleasant: a couple of quirks due to my existing path statements,
a little trial-and-error (plus some help from Paul), and it was up and
running.  But as Alex emphasizes, I followed the FAQ and download
instructions to the letter.

As for JBuilder, you'll be able to integrate the JavaSwarm jars into the
JBuilder environment easily enough--they're just jar files.  You may have to
work a little to figure out how to translate the path and classpath
instructions in the FAQ into config settings that JBuilder understands, but
it's not rocket science--a little trial and error should work it out.  If
you want to do unit-testing, however, or when debugging in general, you're
going to run into trouble when the errors you catch come from the ObjC code
in Swarm rather than the Java interface.  Among other problems, JBuilder's
source-parsers won't recognize ObjC code syntax, so source-lookup is going
to be very limited.  Remember too that JavaSwarm is just a wrapper--the code
in the jar file is seldom enough to help you figure out what's going wrong
(in fact, like all wrappers, it mostly obfuscates the problems), so you
almost always end up in the ObjC source eventually.  With JBuilder and
JavaSwarm, ObjectiveC source browsing will either be external, or will be
internal but without any auto-lookup.  I'm sure you can live without
JBuilder's usual seamless integration, but you should know going in that
you're going to face it, and figure out whether it's worth the trouble.

FWIW, unlike some on this list, I like Java for ABM, but I'm sympathetic to
the argument that if you're going to use Swarm, you ought to go ahead and
write in ObjectiveC.  And the best environment for ObjectiveC is probably
emacs with the ObjectiveC browsing extensions (I think Paul's FAQ has
directions).  Trying to stick with JBuilder may therefore be more trouble
than it's worth.  When in Swarm, do as the Swarm-uns do....

Hope this helps, --Chris