Re: [Swarm-Support] configure: error: Please specify Tcl header path

From: Alex Lancaster
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] configure: error: Please specify Tcl header path
Date: 07 Nov 2003 04:36:51 -0800

JR> Hi, trying to be as short and precies as possible.  Working on a
JR> LINUX 2.4.22 Kernel system (Debian/Knoppix 3.3 installation) Tcl
JR> is installed /usr/lib/tcl8.3 and /usr/lib/tcl8.3 Tried to install
JR> swarm-2.1.1.tar.gz:

Short answer: don't use Swarm 2.1.1, use a development snapshot:

Please read:

http://www.swarm.org/release.html

 "Which version should I get?

  The development snapshot is the only release which we are currently
  actively maintaining, and is the only version that we make bugfixes
  in. Swarm 2.1.1 was released on 10 April 2000, and is now over two
  years old. It is recommended that for serious development most
  people should attempt to download and install the latest development
  snapshot.

  Casual users who simply want to test drive Swarm and the demo
  applications should probably install a stable binary package."
                                                ^^^^^^

For all other purposes (i.e. building from source), the development
snapshot is preferred, see:
http://www.swarm.org/release-swarm-snapshot.html

Currently you are better served by building from CVS.

Alex