[Swarm-Support] Inquiries on Mac OS X 10.3, Fink, Swarm

From: Norberto Eiji Nawa
Subject: [Swarm-Support] Inquiries on Mac OS X 10.3, Fink, Swarm
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 10:15:41 +0900 (JST)

Hello:

I'm considering installing Bill Northcott's packages for Mac OS
available in savannah.org in a machine that runs Mac OS X 10.3
(Panther). However, I use Fink in a regular basis to install/upgrade
apps, and would like to keep it (though that's not recommended
according to the readme:
http://savannah.nongnu.org/download/swarm/macosx-swarm.pkg/20030910/ReadMe-Download)

(1) Has anyone successfully installed/used those packages in Panther?

(2) The documentation says "If you have Fink installed they may not
    work." How "may" is that :-)? AFAIK Fink usually puts things under
    /sw and not /usr/local. Any ideas about the chances of running
    into problems if none of the packages that Swarm requires (apart
    from gcc) have been installed in my mac yet? (Bill?)

I could as well install the packages and see if it works, but would
like to hear from advanced users first.

Thanks a lot,

E.