Re: [Swarm-Support] Inquiries on Mac OS X 10.3, Fink, Swarm

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] Inquiries on Mac OS X 10.3, Fink, Swarm
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 19:08:37 -0700

Norberto Eiji Nawa wrote:

However, I use Fink in a regular basis to install/upgrade
apps, and would like to keep it (though that's not recommended
according to the readme

In principle, Fink should be harmless. It is completely in a separate tree (/sw), and provided you take care to use the right PATH settings when using one or the other you should be ok. (Recently, for the first time ever, I was able to get the latest Fink and Fink Commander and build everything up to and including KDE from source with no hiccups. In the past, Fink never seemed to work.)

It's always easier said than done to keep similar sets of tools distinct when doing builds of packages like Swarm (i.e. packages that use a lot of tools and sometimes purposely or inadvertently have assumptions about the particular versions of those tools). When in doubt, first follow the directions. Once you know where seemingly reasonable expectations break down, then ask questions once the problem is bounded.